How do you pick the best lawyer for your needs? Legal services are just like any other industry, you need to do some research to figure out what works best for you. When you have narrowed it down to a few lawyers with expertise in the area that you are in need of, you need to deliberately investigate every candidate. The following are five steps to picking the best lawyer for your legal needs.
Conduct Candidate Interviews
The best approach to evaluate a lawyer’s legal ability is by meeting the lawyer. Most attorneys will hold an hour consultation at no charge. A couple of essential things to ask during these sessions are:
- What background does the lawyer have in your legal issue?
- How many years has he/she been in practice?
- What is his professional reputation?
- What amount of his caseload is committed to taking care of your type of legal issue?
- Does he have any special skills or accreditation?
- What are his prices?
- Does he have malpractice insurance? Can he explain the details of it?
- Who else would assist on your case and what are their rates?
- Does he outsource any key legal assignments?
- What additional costs may be hidden with the lawyer expenses (postage, recording charges, making copies,so forth)?
- How regularly will you be billed?
- Would he be able to get references from other clients?
- Does he have a contract or representation agreement?
- In what way will he advise you in your case?
Remember that a higher charge does not really guarantee a more qualified attorney, but an extremely low rate should raise some red flags.
After the lawyer interview, you should ask yourself the following:
- Is the lawyer’s understanding and foundation perfect for your legal needs?
- Did he give quick and polite reactions to your inquiries?
- Is it correct to say that he is somebody with whom you would be open to working with?
- Is it correct to say that you are certain he has what it takes to deal with your case?
- Is it safe to say that you are alright with the rates?
- Is it safe to say that you are alright with the terms of the contract?
There are many things to consider when interviewing a lawyer for your specific needs. Do not rush and make a decision because it may hurt the final outcome of your case. Think before you make the decision and make sure that the lawyer you choose meets the needs of your case. It is advised to meet with at least four to five lawyers before you make a decision as to which lawyer can best serve your needs.